Dear Dr. White,

An odds ratio (OR) is inherently asymmetric.  It's logarithm is symmetric
around zero under the null hypothesis that the OR is one. On the original
scale, there is a symmetry around 1.0 with the interval from 0 to 1 being
symmetric to the interval from 1 to infinity.  That is, the same amount of
probability is packed into  the interval from 0 to 1 as is in the interval
from 1 to infinity.  For example, the point 1/2 is symmetric with 2, 1/4 is
symmetric with 4, etc.   Consequently, a confidence interval is usually
computed on the log scale using the approximate standard error on that scale
and then transformed back to the original scale to get an asymmetric
confidence interval.

A symmetric confidence interval (ie, the OR+/-zSE) on the original scale of
the odds ratio would appear to include both sides evenly but would include
different probabilities on either side of the observed OR.  In principle,
the asymmetric confidence interval evens out the probabilities on each side
of the estimate, so this is the one usually used.

One consequence of this common practice is that it may be difficult to find
the se of the OR in most references.

Cordially,
David

David W. Smith, Ph.D., M.P.H.