Today's seminar:

Monday 25 October 1999 - 4pm, Room 122, Pearson Building
Department of Statistical Science - University College London

Speaker : Zoubin Ghahramani (Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit - UCL)

Title : Bayesian Learning of Model Structure

Abstract :
In any field where models are built from data there is a tension between
fitting the data well and keeping the model simple. I will discuss this
problem in the context of learning the structure of latent variable models
and other probabilistic graphical models encountered in pattern recognition
and machine learning. The Bayesian approach allows a principled treatment
of the problem of learning model structure. The tension between data fit
and model complexity is resolved via Ockham's razor, which arises from
averaging over all possible settings of the model parameters.
Unfortunately, for most non-trivial problems these averages are
intractable, resulting in the use of large-sample limits, local Gaussian
approximations, or Markov chain Monte Carlo methods. I will describe a new
approach to Bayesian inference based on variational approximations.
Variational methods are deterministic, global, generally fast, and the
objective function is guaranteed to increase monotonically.  The
variational optimisation procedure generalises the EM algorithm. The
optimal forms of the approximating distributions fall out of the
optimisation (and need not be Gaussian). Most importantly, the variational
Bayesian approach can be used to compare and adapt model structures since
the objective function transparently incorporates the model complexity
cost. This approach has been used to automatically infer the most probable
number of clusters in data and the intrinsic latent-space dimensionality of
each cluster. Joint work with Hagai Attias and Matthew J Beal.

Useful Web sites:

The programme of our statistical seminars is available at:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Stats/research/journals.html

Map with instructions on how to get to our department:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Stats/map.html

Regards,

Kostas Skouras

K. Skouras, Lecturer in Statistics, Department of Statistical Science,
University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT, United Kingdom.
Tel: 0171-4193652					Fax: 0171-7383 4703
e-mail: [log in to unmask]