I am searching for collaborators on an undergraduate statistics project.

I teach a first year university class in statistics to about 300 students.
The students come equipped with Senior (high school) mathematics (slightly
more than Scottish Highers (as I once knew them) but perhaps not quite
English A-levels).  However, the course I teach does not use any calculus
methods, although the statistical methodology is taught rigorously.  The
content is "typical" introductory statistics with some modern topics,
taught in about 40 hours of lectures and 12 hours of computing labs (using
Minitab v12).

The students undertake group projects (involving 4 to 6 students) in which
they design an experiment or study, gather their data, organise, display
and analyse it, and write up their results in a series of web pages.  The
entire exercise is over about 8 teaching weeks.  The project carries 15%
of the weighting for the course.

In an attempt to make the curriculum more international in its focus, to
address broader cultural issues, and to introduce a new kind of group
collaboration dynamic to the students, I would like to find similar groups
of students in English-speaking universities who could join my students in
their project work.

The work would have to be done roughly in April and May 2000.  I would be
willing to consider amending the conduct of this piece of assessment to
facilitate overseas involvement.  Students would require email and web
access.  I do not envisage all my students will be working with overseas
collaborators.  Students would choose their own context and proceed from
there.  As supervisors, we would have to discuss the approach to
assessment and other aspects of managing the students' progress.

Please contact me if you have any comments, queries or suggestions.

Rodney Wolff.

|      .       Dr Rodney C Wolff                    |
|   ,-_|\      School of Mathematical Sciences      |
|  /     * <-- Queensland University of Technology  |
|  \_,-._/     GPO Box 2434                         |
|       V      Brisbane QLD 4001   AUSTRALIA        |
| TEL +61 7 3864 5196  URL  www.math.fsc.qut.edu.au |
| FAX +61 7 3864 2310  EMAIL [log in to unmask] |