UNIVERSITY OF ST ANDREWS

Statistics Seminars - Martinmas 1999

MONDAY 27 SEPTEMBER
	Professor Walter ZUCCHINI (Georg-August-Universitaet, Goettingen)
	"An overview and applications of hidden Markov models for time series"

MONDAY 4 OCTOBER
	Dr Song CHEN (La Trobe University, Australia)
	"Non-parametric Horvitz-Thompson Estimators in Mark Recapture or
Line Transect Surveys"

MONDAY 15 NOVEMBER
	Mr Rob KEMPTON (BioSS, Edinburgh)
	"Fitting the Design to the Model:  Repeated Measures with Carryover"

All seminars start at 4 p.m., tea being available from 3.40 p.m.  Visitors
will be very welcome.

All the seminars will be held in Lecture Theatre B, Mathematical Institute.

Further information from:

	Dr I B J Goudie		(email: [log in to unmask])

SEMINAR ABSTRACTS

Professor Walter ZUCCHINI (Georg-August-Universitaet, Goettingen)
"An overview and applications of hidden Markov models for time series"

	The components and some properties of a simple hidden Markov model
will be outlined. It is shown how such models can be fitted to univariate
time series, such as binomial or Poisson counts, and how they can be used
for forecasting.  It is illustrated how the simple models can be modified
and extended to describe more complex types of time series (for example
categorical, multinomial and other multivariate data) and how trends,
seasonal fluctuations and covariates other than time can be incorporated in
the models.  Examples of applications will be used to illustrate the
methodology.

Dr Song CHEN (La Trobe University, Australia)
"Non-parametric Horvitz-Thompson Estimators in Mark Recapture or Line
Transect Surveys"

	We develop a new estimator of population size when data come from a
two-stage mark recapture experiment or an independent observer line
transect survey and at least one continuous covariate for each detection is
measured.  The new estimator has two features: (i) detection probabilities
are estimated non-parametrically by kernel smoothing of redetections, (ii)
population size is estimated with a Horvitz-Thompson type estimator.
Expressions for asymptotic bias and variance are developed.  We provide an
illustration on some real data.

Mr Rob KEMPTON (BioSS, Edinburgh)
"Fitting the Design to the Model:  Repeated Measures with Carryover"

	Trials with animals or humans often involve applying a sequence of
treatments to each subject.  This allows treatments to be adequately
replicated when the number of subjects is limited for ethical or cost
reasons.  Treatment differences will also be estimated more precisely when
based on responses from the same subject, rather than the more variable
comparison between subjects.  However, treatment responses from sequential
measurements are prone to distortion from context effects, in particular,
the sequence order (or period) in which the treatment is applied and
carryover from preceding treatments.  These effects need to be taken
account in design and analysis.
	We review and extend recommendations for repeated measures designs
based on an additive model where responses are the sum of effects for
subject, period, treatment and carryover from the immediately previous
treatment.  We then develop new results for a non-linear model in which the
carryover from a treatment is proportional to its direct effect. Neighbour
balanced designs are shown to be optimal, but the form of balance depends
on the sign and magnitude of carryover.
	The implications for the design of taste panel experiments are
discussed.