At the risk of seeming churlish, given that it appears to remain
very popular, I will mention that the non-parametric statistics book by the
late Sidney Siegel first published in 1956 received an absolutely scathing
review from I.R. Savage in JASA in 1957, detailing its many mistakes and
misconceptions.

Unfortunately, I have no idea whether the revision by the late N. John
Castellan did much to rectify matters.

But I have a notion that its popularity arises as much from its layout,
allowing you to find almost instantly the non-parametric test you supposedly
need, and from its worked examples, as from any statistical or scientific
merit.

Nick