OK then - here's my input to the discussion.

As a statistician who has worked for over 9 years in a commercial
(database marketing) environment, I feel that Mr Clifford's response does
little to break down some of the barriers that undoubtedly exist, between
the 'high-brow' world of academia and the 'hands-on' world of the
practical application of statistical techniques within industry.

I feel that Mr Westerbeak's question was not unreasonable and that it
contained no 'sinister' overtones.  Let's face it - it's not as if he sent his
data sample down the line and asked for the modelling solution in return !

Surely, it would have been far more constructive for all those involved in
statistical modelling, for Mr Clifford to simply provide the basic answer to
the question.  He could then proactively follow this up by proposing a
suitable university representative who is expert in this type of technique.

Let's all be more open and less defensive - please !

Regards,

Ian.