Dear Colleagues - Apologies for taking up your time.

A Working Group of UCL Fees Committee has been established to review
procedures relating to financial aspects of the year abroad where this year
is a compulsory element of an undergraduate degree programme.  As Secretary
to this Working Group I have been asked to conduct a brief survey of the
practice of other HEIs and write to ask if you could spare a little time to
complete and return to me the questionnaire (6 questions) provided below.

To place this request within a context I should explain that, in the
majority of cases, UCL covers the full cost of tuition fees paid abroad (a)
by direct payment to the institution abroad or (b) by reimbursing the
student where fees are paid direct to the institution by the individual. In
either instance the students must have received the express and prior
written approval of their (Academic) departmental Year-Abroad Tutor for the
course(s)/institution(s)to be attended. In 1998-99, tuition fees paid
abroad ranged from £0 to £1,890. If the fee for a particular placement
exceeds £500, however, the Departmental or Year-Abroad Tutor is expected to
obtain the prior approval of the Senior Tutor, and to attest to the
academic merit of the particular course/institution concerned. The only
exceptions to this rule occur where there is a formal agreement in place.

Your co-operation in assisting me with this survey would be much
appreciated. Please respond direct to my e-mail address and I will forward
a summary of all responses received to admin_student.
1. COSTS
Is there a limit on the fees you will meet for students taking a year abroad?
	Yes/No

If yes, please give brief details:

If you do not impose a limit on year-abroad tuition fees are you
considering imposing one in the future?
	Yes/No

If you have answered yes, please give brief details:

2. OTHER STUDENT SUPPORT
If you do not pay year-abroad tuition fees in full do you have internal
funds (other than Access) to which students may apply for assistance?
	Yes/No

If you have answered yes, please provide brief details:

Do you have any centralised arrangements (either at Departmental level or
centrally) for providing insurance cover for students on their year abroad?
	Yes/No

If you have answered yes, please give brief details:

3. PUBLICITY
Given the long lead time between students applying for a degree programme
and embarking on their year abroad, how do you publicise any financial
contribution which students might be asked to make?  Please give brief
details below.

4. ADMINISTRATION
At UCL, there is one member of staff part of whose duties are to
co-ordinate virtually all aspects of year-abroad placements and to provide
support for departmental Year-Abroad Tutors and approximately 280 Single
Subject and Combined Studies students (380 separate placements approx.)
prior to, during and on return from their year abroad. There is also one
member of staff in the Student Finance Department whose duties include
payment of authorised refunds and one member of staff in the International
Office responsible for monitoring SOCRATES exchanges and allocating
relevant funding.

Please summarise the arrangements in place at your institution providing,
if possible, an FTE indication of the total level of support provided by
either clerical or administrative staff:

5. SOCRATES PLACEMENTS.

Currently, UCL SOCRATES exchange agreements (and placements) are determined
at Departmental level and subsequently centrally administered by the
International Office. We are however exploring ways of centrally allocating
places.  Please summarise below any arrangements you have in place for
allocating placements to such students.

6. FURTHER COMMENTS/OBSERVATIONS
Please include below any other comments or observations on the above about
which you have particular views:

With thanks.

MIKE SMITH
Principal Executive Officer