Date:          Wed, 7 Jul 1999 15:02:27 +0100 (British Summer Time)
Subject:       Hardship Loans
From:          Pamela Bell-Ashe <[log in to unmask]>
To:            amosshe <[log in to unmask]>,
               admin-student <[log in to unmask]>
Cc:            Linda Christian <[log in to unmask]>,
               "Caroline O'Connell" <[log in to unmask]>,
               Sue Spencer <[log in to unmask]>

You may already have heard this from other sources, but in case you
haven't...

I have now had confirmation from the DfEE that in the coming year
the maximum amount of Hardship Loan will be increased from 250pounds
to 500pounds.  It will be available in increments of 100pounds rather
than this year's 25.

The criterion in the regulations will be relaxed so that students
will no longer have to be on the verge of leaving their course before
they are eligible.  The intention is that this will make it available
to a wider group of students and is largely in recognition of the
fact that for students in such extreme financial difficulty it is
often more appropriate to use Access Funds.

More details will be available in a SSIN to be published shortly but
the DfEE have still not finalised the Access Funds guidance and want
to deal with both at the same time.

There is a meeting later this month to look at how hardship loans
have been used throughout 1998/99.  To prepare for this I would find
it invaluable if you could provide me with the following information
about your institution:

1.	How much money were you allocated for Hardship Loans?

	£68,150

2.	How much of this have you spent?

	To date: £33,575

3.	What proportion of students who applied to you for
certification for Hardship Loans were successful (please ignore
students who were ineligible because they were 'existing' rather than
'new' students, i.e. did you actually turn anyone away because they
were not in enough hardship?)

	All

4.	How many of the students who were successful took out the
full 250pounds?

	129 out of 139

5.	How much money were you allocated for Access Funds?

	£487,280 + Interest

6.	How much of this have you spent?

	To date: £490,000

7.	If you have not spent your whole allocation do you envisage
spending the remainder over the summer?

	Yes

8.	What was the average award?

	£625 approx

9.	Did you insist that those students who were eligible for
Hardship Loans took one out before being awarded Access Funds?

	Not for a few mature students and single parents with exceptional
	circs

 10.	If not, what proportion of 'new' students received Access
Funds without a Hardship Loan?

	10 students approx

Sorry about the number of questions but I am keen to have as broad a
view as possible about what has been happening around the country.
For those who are able to deal with Word attachments you may find the
attached table useful.

Thanks in advance for your help with this.  I should be grateful for

Pam

Pamela Bell-Ashe
University of Liverpool

Tel:  0151 794 2243