See responses below.

>>> "J.Stubbings" <[log in to unmask]> 28/06/99 >>>
Apologies for cross-posting.

We are in the process of launching our first HNDs to run alongside some of
our degree programmes and are grappling with some tricky regulatory issues.
I would be very grateful for any response to the following questions,
particularly from institutions who share teaching with their degree courses:

1.	Do you accept your HND students on to the third year of a degree
programme and, if so, under what criteria?
 Yes, where the HND has been designed to carry the same number and level of credits as the first two years of the degree.
 Do you ask for a merit profile,
and what do you consider that to be (or do you leave it to academic
judgement)?
Variable.  Sometimes the number of credits etc. entitles a student to apply for direct entry to Stage 3 of the degree.  Such applications may then be considered on merit, based on academic judgement.

2.	Do you have separate regulations for your HNDs, or are they combined
with your degree regs?
Separate HNC/D regulations (although broadly based on those for degree programmes)

3.	How do you grade work?  How do you mark assignments when you have a
mixture of degree and HND essays? Do you mark in percentages and then give
HND assignments the equivalent Edexcel grade, or do you mark HND and Degree
assignments separately?  Or do you mark all assignments together and then
give the Unit a grade against some agreed formula?
Both our UG Degree and our HNC/D regulations include an alpha grading scheme, and for HNC/Ds these are then banded to Pass, Merit and Distinction.  Where students are go-taught on modules their work is marked according to the grading scheme for their programme.

Geraldine Galloway
Assistant Registrar, QA
University of Derby

Many thanks.