> In the case of new students who took leave of absence during the year
> 1998/99 (or have to repeat part of that first year for any reason) but
> will not be returning during this academic year until after 1 December
> does anyone know...
> 1. Must they reapply for funding for this year (as their 98/99 award was
> transitional)
YES

> 2. Must they do so by 4 months after the start of this year even if the
> do not know exactly when they will return?
NO, BECAUSE THEY WILL ALREADY HAVE AN AWARD, SUSPENDED

> 3. Should the University put them on the list for the SLC as attending
> on 1 Dec on the basis that they are not people who came and then went by
> 1 Dec but people who are not required to attend until after 1 Dec
NO; I UNDERSTAND THAT ONCE THE LEA HAS BEEN INFORMED OF THE STUDENT'S
RETURN, OR IMPENDING RETURN, THEY WILL DO A NEW ASSESSMENT, AND PASS THIS TO
THE SLC.  THIS SHOULD TRIGGER THE STUDENT'S APPEARANCE ON THE NEXT STUDY
PERIOD LIST

> 4. If not what is the notification procedure for getting the fees from
> the SLC? SEE ABOVE

> 5. Should the University notify the LEA of their return?
YES; COMPLETE THE FORM 'NOTICE OF STUDENT RESUMING STUDY' (APPENDIX 9)
URGENTLY AND FORWARD IT TO THE STUDENT'S LEA (See SSIN 67/99 - on DfEE web
site even if you have not got a copy yet)

> 6. If so, when ie now or after they return?
AS SOON AS THE INSTITUTION AND THE STUDENT AGREE THE DETAILS OF THE
STUDENT'S RETURN

Roger Clark
Academic Registrar
University of Reading