I think this arises if an applicant has applied earlier in the year for
support, has been assessed, and has applied for a loan in the expectation of
entering your university.  If the applicant is then rejected (or defers or
is placed elsewhere), and fails to notify SLC or LEA that they are going
elsewhere, the SLC assumption is, I think, that they are still coming to
you.  In these circumstances there should also be a loan cheque sent to you,
which you should return to the SLC indicating that the student did not
register.

Roger Clark
Academic Registrar
University of Reading