The DfEE Student Support Design Group wanted to use the National Insurance
number as the consistent ID across the whole operation, but were told that
this was not possible (for quasi-cilil liberties reasons).  We therefore do
not have a consistent ID across the system.  However, the chances are that
most of those who do not have UCAS numbers are second year students; we
suspect that most new entrants will have known their UCAS numbers. On that
basis the problem should go away next year, since we will by then have on
file the Student Support Number for all next year's returning students.

Roger Clark
Academic Registrar
University of Reading