My understanding is that a UCAS number is not essential (and anyway there
are a number of HE courses which recruit outside UCAS).  Provided the course
is on the SLC courses database, the LEA will process the application in the
usual way.  SLC records which included a UCAS number were cross-checked
against the UCAS records a few days ago to identify students who gave one
course on their support application but have ended up placed for a different
course.  Those whose courses do not match should have been sent a letter
asking them to confirm to their LEA which course they will be going on, so
that the LEA can re-assess (which will in most cases merely require that the
LEA checks that the new course is still one which is designated for Support.

Roger Clark
Academic Registrar
University of Reading