I have sent list members a copy of a statement from Mailbase about
arrangements over the New Year.  There is also a suggestion that
some lists may wish to close for the distribution of messages.

This would be done by temporarily stopping join requests by
forwarding them to list owners and stopping the submission of
messages by requiring them to be moderated.  This would send
them to the list owner(s) who could then release them to the list.
(When they next made it to their desks).

This ought not to be necessary and I currently don't propose to do
this. (One factor is that I will not be back in the office until 6/1/00)
However, there has been some suggestions that, sadly, some
Institutions will be shutting down their mail services over Christmas
and the New Year.  This **should** be allright and cause no
problems.  However in some cases it has been suggested that there
will be such disruption (and floods of these badly configured "I'm out
of the office" messages which are becoming, in aggregate,  a real
nuisance) that preventative measures might be worth the effort/delay.

Has anyone any observations to offer or information about what
their institution is doing?  Woul UCAS feel at real risk of lost comms
until 6th Jan?

If anyone has any views perhaps they would let me have them rather
than the list.

Regards

Jim Whitaker
(List owner admin-ucas, joint list owner admin-student)

* J.S.M. Whitaker                  [log in to unmask]
* IT Support Manager
* Academic Office                  Tel: 0121-414 3811
*                            (Secretary 0121-414 3812)
* The University of Birmingham     Fax: 0121-414 6864
* Edgbaston
* Birmingham      B15 2TT