Chris,

At Swansea we still keep Wednesday afternoons free of formal teaching.
Some departments, especially those with a practical element are known to
timetable practical classes on Wednesday afternoons, and individual
tutors sometimes reschedule tutorials for Wednesday afternoons. However
as recently as last session, Senate confirmed the position that
Wednesday afternoons should be kept free of teaching.

Rob Barnes.