On Wed, 22 Dec 1999 14:59:10 -0500 (EST) Dr Robert Green
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>At Southampton, we have already discovered that in several
>cases errors in student data (course code/year of study)
>are not attributable to LEA error, but to the SLC. When we
>have reported these errors to the LEA, they have checked
>and told us that their data match ours. Furthermore,
>because the LEAs are holding correct data, they have
>appeared unwilling to pass this information on to the SLC,
>and yet there seems to be no direct way for HEIs to inform
>the SLC without going through the LEAs.
>
>The looming problem is that unless these errors are
>corrected by the SLC, our students will not be receiving
>their second instalments, and HEIs won't be receiving fees
>in respect of such students. We have some 1,000 students
>(out of 6,000) with errors, some of which will be correctly
>held by LEAs.
>
>Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? How do we
>solve this problem quickly without waiting till the CVCP
>survey?
>
>Robert Green
>
>**********************************
>Dr R.J.Green                     *
>Academic Registrar's Department  *
>Room 3023, Bldg 37               *
>Ext 3062; Fax 3037.              *
>**********************************
>I had thought that all students would receive their second instalments
anyway. We have also had a number of discrepencies and as requested
these have been passed to LEAs to liaise with the SLC. Many are
changes in minors when the student is undertaking a major/minor
combination. I asked the DfEE if we really had to do this and I was told
yes. We have generated 800 paper records to the LEAs confirming the
actual data . In some cases this is the second or third time. We have
shown willing by trying to play it by the book. Wherever we have had to
mark X (and the student is here) the LEA have a form as to why that is.

It is clear to me that it is now between the LEAs and the SLC to consult
on the information they now both possess. The SSINs were clear on that
point.

My other major concern is the number of students who presented us
with final assessments in OCT /NOV and do not appear on the list. When
will we be able to invoice the SLC for these students?

Nancy Richards
Manager ,Student Services
Thames Valley University
WH102