Briefly to deflect eyes from SLC, may I seek
advice/views on US Loans - specifically "Foreign
School Program Participation Agreement" (PPAs, as we
all know them).

Anyone still reading at this point may share my recent
experience. Assorted documents arrived yesterday from
the US Department of Education, two to be signed by
the Vice-Chancellor, which indicate that we have
*temporary recertification* because "This
institution's recertification application was not
received in time to be recertified by the statutory
deadline of July 23 1997 ...".

We received huge amounts of paper from the US ED in
mid-April 97, with a deadline 10 days from that
receipt, which we finally missed by 2 days (having
already indicated that we couldn't possibly gather all
the evidence they required in 10 days).

I've faxed them (fed up with an entirely irrelevant
telephone answering maching message) to say that I'm
far from being happy teddy and will they please review
the matter urgently (a cheerful porker just flew past
my window).

Anyone else in the same boat (partly disabled, but
managing to stay afloat - if not actually butting
through the channel)?

Festive felicitations, despite all that.
Stephen V Duggan
Assistant Registrar
University of Aberdeen
King's College