Dear Colleague

If the EMail below, which I have just sent out, does not apply to you, I
would be grateful if you would forward it to the appropriate colleague in
your instittuion.

Many thanks

Anne Leyland

Apologies for taking up your time. At UCL we are compiling good practice
guidelines for examiners of research degrees on how to approach the
examination (and supplementary to the quite detailed regulations governing
the exmaination) and also considering allowing members of staff who are new
to research degree examining and would like to gain some experience in this
area to sit in on vivas, with the candidate's (and examiners') permission.
It would be really helpful if you could return this EMail to me deleting
the answers to the three questions below which do NOT apply to your
institution.

QUESTIONS

1. Does your institution have a formal scheme for training MPhil/PhD
examiners?

[Please delete all those that do NOT apply]

YES       NO      IN PROCESS OF DEVELOPMENT

2. Does your institution, whether or not as part of a formal scheme for
training MPhil/PhD examiners, permit colleagues to attend MPhil/PhD viva
examinations as observers?

[Please delete all those that do NOT apply]

YES      NO

3. Does your institution provide written good practice guidelines to the
examiners of MPhil/PhD examinations, in addition to the regulations for the
conduct of the examination?

YES       NO      IN PROCESS OF DEVELOPMENT

I hope you will not mind, if the answer is 'yes' or 'in process of
development', if I request you to send further information.

Many thanks

Anne Leyland

Anne Leyland, Assistant Registrar (Regulations)
UCL
Gower Street
London WC1E 7BT

Tel: (0171) 504 2028