Jim Wells wrote:

# Do any colleagues have any idea of the equivalences of musical
# qualifications, for example Violin Grade 8?
#
# I wonder whether this might be a higher qualification than a low-ish A level
# score.  To me (a non-musician) Grade 8 seems quite impressive.

I'd add a little to what Anna has just written. My daughter has done grade 7
and recons it is more difficult than 'A' level.

Have a look at the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music (ABRSM) site
at

http://www.abrsm.ac.uk/

There's nothing I can see which directly equates grade 8 with an A level, but
the examinations entry page

http://www.abrsm.ac.uk/nonukregs01.html

indicates a GCE 'O' level pass at theory can be taken as the equivalent of
grade 5 theory.

This page:

http://www.abrsm.ac.uk/thesemusicexams04beyond.html

indicates grade 8 (distinction) used to be the level needed for direct entry
into a UK music college. After grade 8 you head for one of the three diploma
levels.

Peter
Peter Glazier
Exeter University