>I think Philip is right that there is a loose end in respect of students who
>in effect repeat a year on a part-time basis (because they are re-taking
>only the modules they have failed).  My interpretation is that such students
>will not be eligible for support during that year. But I too will draw this
>to the attaention of the DfEE
>

>Roger Clark
>Academic Registrar
>University of Reading

We have been struggling with the question of first year repeat/resitting
students too. Our current conclusions are:
1. They are entitled to fee payments subject to means testing because of
the wording of Reg 10(8) Student support regs "repeating ALL OR PART of
their first year"
2. Students are not entitled to a loan if they are classed as part time.
But, many universities are taking the view that they are students
registered on a full time course and repeating; therefore the basic full
time registration is sufficient to get a loan. ~This needs clarification
3. Supplementary grants follow a similar pattern to the loans.

We've raised it with the DfEE and the NUS and with other student union
colleagues. We do know the DfEE have agreed their comment in the September
Update on page 4, is being reviewed by them again.

Furthermore, what really does not make sense is that the DfEE have made it
easier /automatic for students to get fee support to repeat their first
year on one occasion only whilst the reality is that on modular courses
virtually all repeats are going to be part time. If students do get support
then they are also extending their course completion dates and have to ask
LEA's to use discretion to extend their support under Reg 8 of the Support
Regs.

Jill

Jill Wilson, Welfare Manager,
Students' Advice Centre, Aston Students' Guild,
Birmingham B4 7ES  Tel 0121 359 3611/6531 ( direct dial 359 3621)
extension 4067