When we (Scottish HEI's) spoke to SAAS about this issue, their opinion was
that it was up to the Institutions to set policy.  Ours is similar to LJM's
in that we distinguish between Awards Body arrangements and procedures for
the refund of individual students (see our website for details,
http://www.st-and.ac.uk/services/registry/registry.htm following Fees and
Withdrawal links).

However, inter-institutional arrangements are not going to be very
productive is everyone makes their own policy.  There are (at least) three
possibilities:

no transfer of fees received
pro-rata transfer of "unused"  proportion of fees received (based on
attendance)
transfer of full fee up to a certain date and no fee after that date.

I don't know what mechanisms exist for negotiating a sector-wide policy on
transfers (CVCP+ Colleges?) but if we do nothing, the situation will fast
develop where a transferring student will be obliged to pay up to 1025 to
each institution, neither being prepared to compromise.

Of course, since our blearly eyed parliamentarian novices are sitting down
today to abolish tuition fees in Scotland, this may not be a problem we
need worry about for much longer!

Alastair
             Mr Alastair E W Work MA MIPD
             Director of Registry