At UEA we hope to do what we did this past year, and ask students to
complete what we call a tuition fees form, telling us who their LEA is and
how much the LEA has said they will have to pay in fees, if anything; they
should attach to this form  a copy of the letter from the LEA. (The form
also asks the students who will be paying their contribution, and, if
parents, if the parents want the invoice sent direct to them.)

For new students in September 1999 the form will go out with Joining
Instructions in August, with instructions to send it back to our Finance
Division  in a prepaid envelope asap.  For 1998 entrants the form will also
be posted in August, with  the students having had advance warning
that they will receive it.  This year's version of the form will ask for
the new SLC identification number.  It will therefore go to our Finance
Division first.

The object of this strategy was/is to get the information as quickly as
possible without waiting for lists from LEAs/SLC, so that we could begin to
build up a database and be ready to invoice students for fees at our normal
time, i.e. week 3 or 4 of the academic year, and for the correct amount.

If students/parents want to pay at registration and before fees invoices
are issued, we're happy to oblige.

Eleanor Martin
At 17:33 05/03/99 +0000, you wrote:

>At what point do you expect to capture the data on the SLC
>unique identification number?  Will we have notification of
>it before the student arrives at registration with their
>LEA assessment?

>J.K.Bosworth

Eleanor Martin, Assistant Registrar, Academic Division,
UEA.
Tel. 01603 592205