As a Student Employment Officer, I obviously have an interest in the debate
over the appropriateness of students working during their period of study.

I would ask that all those interested in this area do a series of simple
calculations in order to... create a "typical" undergraduate budget for a
student at their institution.  The web address below contains an "interactive"
budget planner created by my office but accessible to anyone. It may be of
some use in suggesting appropriate headings for a budget.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/Units/SEO/finance2.html#planner

For information, on the income side a 1st year student studying outside London
in the current academic year is entitled to a maximum 810 grant and 2735 loan
(both pounds sterling per annum).

rights, I believe that well run Jobshops (Student Employment Services) can go
a long way towards assisting students to bridge their funding gap - where one
exists.

These relatively new student services are not yet well known within the HE
community and in general do not operate (as many believe) along the US model
of internal appointments only.  Some (generally the better funded and longer
established) deal with as many as 80 percent of thier host institutions
undergraduates and can enable employment amounting to several millions of
pounds of wages per annum.

Yours

John Sander

Student Employment Office