Dear Katie,
     At Cardiff, when students who are eligible for the SLC Hardship Loan
     apply for the main Loan, they are given a flyer with details of the
     HL.  Here, at the Dean of Students' Office, we make the assessment
     and use the same form as the Access application form as essentially
     the same details are required.  If we deem that there is a case (i.e.
     without extra funding the student would be in danger of withdrawing)
     we give the student a certificate to take to the Student Loans
     Office.  We tell them that if subsequently they wish to apply for
     Access they should return to our Office with a bank statement showing
     the receipt of the HL.
     Our HL funding is 83,025 and to date we have dealt with 46
     applications, 41 of which we have certified for the HL (all 250)
     total 10,250.  26 of the 41 have subsequently applied for Access and
     a total of 26,570 was awarded so it is clear that it is the Access
     grant that is keeping them on the course and not the HL!
     Sybil Green
     Gardiff University
     Tel: 01222-874179