Islands students are Home for fees purposes. They are not funded by the
Funding Council, however, and the undergraduates   (or their LEA  -  either
Jersey, Guernsey or Isle of Man) pay a special Home fees rate negotiated by
the DfEE and the Islands Governments. This year the special rate was based
on the Funding Council's new teaching cost groups. There was a proposal to
bring the Islands undergraduates into the normal funding mechanism (normal
Home fee, plus Funding Council support) for 1999/2000, but I don't know
what has happened to the idea.  Has anybody out there heard?

The special fees rate covers Islands undergraduates only.  At UEA we extend
it to Islands postgraduates, most  of whom are also funded by their LEA.

Eleanor Martin
Eleanor Martin, Assistant Registrar, Academic Division,
UEA.
Tel. 01603 592205