I note from SSIN 03/99 that students will not be eligible for support if
they apply later than 4 months after the start of their course - refer
Appendix 1D (last page of the document).  Maybe I wasn't reading earlier
SSINs carefully enough but this was news to me.

I know that this makes sense for the means-tested element of the Loan and
the fees.  We have also been asked to advise current 'new' students to apply
to their LEA without delay to ensure they can obtain support next year.

But until now students have been able to apply for non-means-tested loans up
to the last day of the academic year.  Now that the whole support package is
rolled into one, the freedom to apply late for a loan is taken away.

It is hard enough to persuade students in need to apply for loans,
particularly students with parents who veto their offspring taking out loans
and those already holding part-time jobs.  But now, students who fail to
apply before the deadline because they don't anticipate financial hardship
will have no source of financial support if things go wrong.

Moreover, current rules for the Access Funds state that students must first
have applied for their Student Loan.

Do other institutions have ideas about how they plan to ensure that every
student applies for a student loan or how they will help those who miss the
deadline?

Nicolette Connon
Assistant Registrar (Student Records & Administration)
King Alfred's College
Sparkford Road
Winchester
HANTS	SO22 4NR
Email:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]
Tel: 01962 827224
Fax: 01962 827406