We have a roll-on, roll-off distance learning programme in Welsh. Students
pay for the whole course up front.  They then send in assignments at a pace
that suits their individual circumstances.  They send in cassettes, the
results are recorded and the cassettes are returned with comments.  So far
so good.

However, the whole thrust of the programme is that we do not put pressure on
students.  Therefore there can be long gaps between assignments making it
difficult to determine if the student has dropped out or is merely too busy
at present to produce the goods.  We only officially ask them to enrol at
the start of the programme.

Therein lies the rub.  We have official records of their progress but only
the one enrolment form so the Funding Council will not accept us returning
any students except the ones for whom we have enrolment forms - even though
we have other records.

As we are hoping to expand our Distance Learning provision into other areas,
I wondered if any colleagues had found ways round this problem or if I will
have to insist that these students re-enrol each year even though it may
only be in order to produce one assignment.

Jacqui Witting
Academic Registry
* 01443 48 2991
*  01443 48 2014