Here's a quick reply to the two questions posed by Mike:

1.  The OU has moved away from programme-specific registration to
course-based registration for two reasons - first, because not all adult
learners wish to study full degree programmes and second because learning
objectives often change during the course of study and indeed through life.
We are therefore attempting to provide a more flexible modular-based
registration system that allows for a variety of learning objectives to be
pursued and for real lifelong learning to take place.  (I should add that
students may, if they wish, indicate that they wish to study towards a
particular qualification, and may receive help and advice based on this, but
it is not obligatory that they do so).

Mike is quite right to point out that this has implications for the
measurement of undergraduate level students along traditional lines but then
the move towards more flexible and responsive systems is challenging a whole
host of traditional distinctions and definitions throughout HE. It is not
just the OU that is breaking the mould!

2. The award of £500 loans for part-time students on low incomes from autumn
2000 is official!  See DfEE News Release of 29 January 1999 (for England)
and Scottish Office News Release of 23 March 1999 (for Scotland).  However,
what constitutes 'low income' has not been announced as yet, so far as I
know.  Our understanding is that the loans will be available to HE students
studying at half the full-time rate ( 60 CAT points pa), ie using the same
threshold that currently applies to access payments and fee waivers  for pt
students.

Martin.

Martin Watkinson
Head of Planning