I think it has more then historical reasons.

Of course older fridges were not able to maintain an equal temperature
throughout  the whole box and to maintain a steady temperature at about the
set temperature. Therefore a temperature had to be choosen that would
certainly provide good storage condition with respect to sample (and food)
deterioration and bacterial growth. At the same time, however, the products
should not be frozen every time the fridge started a cooling cycle. So the
set temp should be high enough above 0°C to prevent water-rich fluids
(samples/food) from repeated freezing.

This is, I think, the main reason for the 4°C limit

Dr. Dirk Bakkeren
clinical chemist
Diaconessenhuis Eindhoven
Ds Th Fliednerstraat 1