  From: R.W. Wulkan
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Cc: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, September 09, 1999 10:57 AM
  Subject: Albumin Dubliners

  Dear collegue,

  Yesterday, I was called to inspect an unusual protein
  electrophoresis pattern. One lane of the Paragon gel showed an
  broad albumin band, "bearding" towards the anode, no extra
  (prealbumin) band to be seen. The patient turned out to have a
  chronic renal failure: kreat 480 umol/L, urea 63 mmol/L, anion gap
  24 mEq/L. Our present theory is that the broadening is caused by
  association of albumin with charged molecules, retained by severe
  renal failure. The patient did not get albumin therapy.
  Is there anyone familiar with this phenomenon?

  The only bearding band known to us thus far are the Dubliners, so
  we propose the name albumin Dubliners.

  Best wishes

  Raymond Wulkan
  Zuiderziekenhuis