Vitamin D-What should be measured?

Dear list members,

Sorry, maybe I didnīt put my question clear enough:
Should we measure 25OH D with cross-reactivities to various compunds as an integrated measure of Vitamin D2 (fortified meals) and Vitamin D3 supply (this would be the case for most immuno-methods

 or
should we measure specifically 25OH-D3 (and 25OH-D2?) by HPLC after extraction?

To all who thought about sunshine and diets in Germany:
this particular winter was dull and long and is one cause of the observed low results. Also the dietary intake in Germany is below the recommended daily allowance in a great number of the people. Here, Dairy products are not fortified with D-analogues.

The turkish community (at least part of) is prone to little UV exposure.

Yours sincerely
Dieter Auch

Dr. Dieter Auch
Gaffkystrasse 11