Not so John!  We are invaded from the south by "Wilson's Syndrome". This has nothing to do with copper or ceruloplasmin but is an entity of low body temperature, normal thyroid tests, and confused physicians. They even have their own foundation. Go to http://www.wilsonsyndrome.com/
to learn more.

Mike McNeely

-----Original Message-----
From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 1999 11:56 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Hypothyroid with normal tests

Living in Canada I obviously did not watch this program but it seems to
me that they were probably referring to "subclinical hypothyroidism"
where TSH is clearly elevated, but free T4 and free T3 (of for that
matter total T3 & T4) are normal. There is quite a bit of literature on
this topic but as yet there does not appear to be a clear consensus on
whether to put patients on replacement therapy. At the Endocrine Society
Meetings 2 yr. ago at two separate "Meet the Professor" sessions on
subclinical hypothyroidism the two experts could not agree on whether to
treat or watch. This is likely a situation where the physician and
patient have make a joint decision.