I am delighted to have provoked at least some thoughtful (if slightly
personally pejorative) reaction; may we now learn what the particular skills
and competencies those who have elected to join the indicative register of
Scientists in Health Care have that those persons, otherwise eligible to
register with the Council for Registration of Scientists in Health Care, who
are already registered with either the CPSM or the General Medical Council
do not have?

I have no objection to the concept of an indicative register for Clinical
Scientists. What I object to in the strongest possible terms is its current
title; persons on that register do not have and should not claim, even by
the narrow implication of the title chosen, a monopoly of the application of
the scientific method to the care of patients.  A more accurate title would
be  "The Council for the Registration of a minority of Scientists in Health
Care". Clinical Scientists obviously perceive themselves to be a clear and
distinctive group. Clinical Scientists are a subset of the scientists in
health care, the term does not imply any sort of monopoly of the application
of science. Thus why not use the title "The Council for the Registration of
Clinical Scientists"?

Robert Forrest