In message <[log in to unmask]>, [log in to unmask]
writes
>Dear list members!
>
>The lowest detectable difference for a quantitative method (LDD (%))has been
>explained to me to be LDD (%) = 2.8 * total CV (%). This is also used to define
>the limit of detection for a method. My wonder is what the conditions are for
>applying this. Can this be applied also when CV reaches 30 %? CVs in this range
>would than mean that two quantitative values can be discriminated with 95%
>confidence when the higher value is twice the lower value. My feeling is that
>the equation does not take in acount the increase in standard deviation of the
>error with higher values, which is inherent in our methods and that the
>distribution of the error is likely to have a positive skewness when CV is
>high.
>I would also appreciate references over this matter.
>
>With kind regards
>
>Goran Brattsand
>M.D.
>Clinical Chemistry
>Umeå University Hospital
>S-901 85 Umea
>Sweden
>e-mail : <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Goran

The only satisfactory method of calculating Assay Detection Limits that
I have ever seen is in:

 Caulcutt R & Body R (1983), Statistics for Analytical Chemists, pp
201-205, Chapman & Hall, London.

Sorry I can't actually produce the formula straight way but my copy has
"walked". All I can remember is that it involves the t distribution and
the CV. Which latter should be better than 5%, or at least that is what
I was faced with by "he who will remain nameless but obeyed" when I
started a Trace Metal Lab. "Either that or you don't have an assay lad!"
he said, I think he had a point. Sorry to be so negative but then I am
sure you have considered what a CV of 30% means in simple + or - SD's or
confidence interval terms, not that haematologists seem to mind though.

Yours aye,

--
Dr Henry Chandler