Thanks to Ceridwen Dawkins for suggesting this Case.

A request from a Family Doctor on a 68 year old man complaining of
increasing impotence. Serum results were:

LH:		8.3 IU/L		(1.6 - 9.6)
FSH:		15.1 IU/L	( <6.0)
Testosterone:	9.7 nmol/L	(9 - 30)

This Case attracted 25 participants, and produced a wide divergence of
opinion.. One assessor commented 'This was an interesting set of answers
because I don't think we know the answer - what the results mean'. He added
'What a horrible question to mark'. Despite this, there was only one large
divergence of opinion between assessors. I am awarding myself a bonus mark
- last year, I was challenged to find a case for which 'phoning the Doctor
would score a negative mark. This is the first such Case!

Only 2 participants would call the Family Doctor.(-0.4)

3 participants thought the results were likely to be normal for age;(0.0)
2 participants queried the male menopause.(-0.4)

5 queried mild/ partial/ early/ incipient primary testicular failure;(1.5)
1 each queried
	secondary gonadal failure;(-0.6*)
	abnormal tubular function;(-0.4)
	early hypothyroidism.(-0.8)

In addition,
6 queried a drug effect; (-0.2)
2 queried psychological problems; (0.2)
1 each queried
	galactorrhoea; (0.2)
	alcohol intake; (0.8)
	vascular disease; (0.4)
	autonomic neuropathy; (0.0)
	stress; (0.2)
	systemic illness; (0.2)
	germinal cell dysfunction; (-0.4)
	testicular lesions. (0.0)

14 would measure Sex Hormone Binding Globulin/ free testosterone; (1.0)
8 would measure glucose; (0.6)
5 would measure prolactin; (0.6)
4 would measure free androgen index; (0.6)
4 would measure LFTs; (0.0)
4 would suggest repeating the tests; (0.6)
3 would suggest looking at sperm count and morphology; (-0.8)

3 would measure urea and electrolytes; (-0.2)
1 each would measure
	thyroid function tests (0.2)
	PSA; (-0.4)
	ferritin. (-0.4)

2 participants would suggest referral to an endocrinologist. (1.2)
Perhaps surprisingly, no-one suggested referral to an urologist (or a
sexual psychiatrist).

Ceridwen commented 'Testosterone unremarkable for age. FSH rather high
?normal LFTs? Perhaps repeat, preferably 8 - 10am'

Best wishes
Gordon Challand
Li Ping