No one would disagree that over diagnosis of child abuse, including MBP, can
lead to tragic results. It is a truism that many middle class parents, in
particular health care professionals, say they are disinclined to take their
children to Casualty departments for fear of an inappropriate diagnosis of
child abuse.

The other end of the spectrum is when a person who has just given expert
evidence in a murder trial where the issue was the alleged killing of a
child by a parent describes how they have been rung up and told: "We are
going to do the same to you that we did to David Southall".

Obviously, such a telephone call would only be made by a disturbed and
irresponsible person who could have no position of responsibility in any
support group and who would be expelled from membership if they were to make
such a telephone call. I am quite sure that no reputable advocacy or support
group for parents accused of abusing their children would in any way support
the harassment of those trying to do their best by investigating the
homicide of children and infants. Such activity, apart from being illegal,
would not be compatible with charitable status.

Robert Forrest

Copyright A R W Forrest 1999. The copying or reposting of this message in
whole or in part is not permitted. You may download one copy to your own
computer for personal review only. No implicit or explicit licence for the
use of this message for any other purpose has been or will be granted by the
copyright owner. If you do not accept the terms of this licence you must
immediately delete this message in its entirety, including any back up
copies, from your computer system.