We were working through this problem yesterday, with a newly admitted
child with probable neuroblastoma. We are only interested in
investigation of the individual, not population screening.

We found: Paediatric reference ranges.... Fitzgibbon and Tormey, Annals
1994: 31: 1-11
and quite a lot of detail on  "sensitivity and specificity" in "Clinical
Laboratory Diagnosis" Lothar Thomas (yes, it is now available in the UK:
TH Books ISBN 3-9805215-4-0).

We measure individual and total metanephrines and 3 methoxytyramine in
an untimed urine, expressed as a ratio to creatinine, reports available
the afternoon after the specimen is collected, 7 days a week.

However this approach is piggy-backed onto our management of adult
phaeochromocytoma, and we don't know whether we should be measuring HMMA
as well as metanephrines, or a wider range of dopamine metabolites.

Dr Jonathan Kay
University of Oxford