From: Stephen Davis <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: 29 October 1999 10:45
Subject: HCG testing - urine v serum

> We recently encountered a case where a lady admitted for sterilisation had
a negative urine pregnancy test and underwent sterilisation.  She was
subsequently shown to be pregnant with dates consistent with conception
occurring prior to the procedure.

> Should a sensitive serum test have been used rather than a urine test?
Does anyone know of cases where laboratories/hospitals have been criticised
for using urine test rather than serum in such circumstances?