I have tried putting the following scenario to a number of consultant
physician colleagues over the last couple of days: "On take on Friday
evening at about 10 pm  you admit a 23 year old woman, unconscious, with a
body temperature of 32 degree centigrade. What clinical chemistry tests are
you going to want ready for the post take ward round at 8 am on Saturday
morning?"

All mentioned thyroid function, cortisol and "ideally" a drug screen as well
things like U/E LFTs, glucose & amylase on the usual on call repertoire.

The neurosurgeon listening in (whom I was a neuro SHO with more years ago
than I care to remember) reply was "Give her a shot of steroids and MRI her
head urgently". Fine if you get the bloods off before giving the steroids.
We both vividly remembered the same hypothermic young woman with a
hypothalamic glioma.

Robert Forrest

BTW I was amused to note that my spell checker wanted to substitute "gloom"
for "glioma"