Over the recent 3 weeks we have had 4 requests for lactate and pyruvate
analysis. When compared with 1 request for pyruvate in the last 3 years this
seamed odd !

I must confess to have only textbook knowledge of these analytes. I would
welcome some comments from some of the more seasoned biochemists on the
utility of the above analytes. For example what are the indications for the
measurement of pyruvate. Is it unreasonable for us to insist that the
requesters document an acidosis and an elevated anion gap before preceding
to lactate analysis (we have been doing this in adults for sometime. Is it
the same situation in neonates ?)

Craig Webster
Senior Clinical Biochemist
Broomfield Hospital