Dear colleagues

We have a young woman who underwent liver transplantation for paracetamol
induced acute liver failure two months ago.  The donor organ came from a
patient who had died after using ecstasy.  The liver looked normal at
surgery, donor LFTs were normal but no biopsy was done.  We are not aware of
any problems in the donor's past medical history.

The recipient is doing well but has persistent cholestasis, with bilirubin
450, AST 400, alk phos 1700 GGT 1300.  Liver biopsy shows no evidence of
rejection but the liver shows extensive fatty infiltration, with lipid
primarily in macrophages.  The histological appearances are reminiscent of
Niemann-Pick.  She has a serum cholesterol concentration of 24 mmol/L with
triglycerides 5.

Immunosuppression is with tacrolimus.

In our experience, such severe hypercholesterolaemia is unusual in
cholestasis but it is the combination of the hypercholesterolaemia and the
biopsy appearances that is the puzzle.

Suggestions would be welcome.

William Marshall