For reasons that I do not yet fully understand
(probably a simple clerical error)
a patient with simple mild hypothyroidism
(tsh 25miu/L, total T4 78 nmol/L free T4 9.1 nmol/L0
had a thyroglobulin assay performed rather than a TBG
(thyroid binding globulin
)

as is always the case is this sort of situation the
thyroglobulin is not normal
patient value 155 micrograms/L (quoted normal less than 60).

The patient does not have a goitre and the neck is normal on
examination (in this 30something female).

I have found reference to patients with simple goitre having
thyroglobulin levels up to 200 micrograms/L but nothing
about simple goitre.

The patient is now on thyroxine and I do intend to repeat
the thyroglobulin as it should fall in this situation.

It is difficult to prove a negative (ie that this patient does not
have thyroid cancer) and the clinician is anxious and I am
vexed by my inability to give him authorative advice (we don't
do thyroglobulin assays - we send them away and the people we
send them to don't know either).

i bet there is someone out there who can advise!
thanks (as ever) in advance

James Falconer Smith
Leicester

ps the neck is normal on
examination means on simple clinical examination (no imaging yet)