Dear colleagues,

A (rather ambiguous) News Release on the Abbott Website may offer some
reassurance to those concerned about Abbott test availability.

http://www.abbott.com/news/1999news/pr110299.htm

"The products on the market continue to provide accurate results. Abbott
will not need to recall any diagnostic products as a result of this
decree."......................

"The decree allows for the continued manufacture and distribution of
medically necessary diagnostic products made in Lake County, Ill., such
as assays for hepatitis, retrovirus, cardiovascular disease, cancer,
thyroid disorders, fertility, drug monitoring, and congenital and
respiratory conditions. However, Abbott is prohibited from manufacturing
or distributing certain diagnostic products until Abbott ensures the
processes in its Lake County, Ill., diagnostics manufacturing operations
conform with the current Quality System Regulation.".................

"This decree allows us to resolve these issues comprehensively and
systematically without disruption to patient care world-wide," said
Miles D. White, chairman and chief executive officer. "We will work
closely and cooperatively with the FDA to ensure our Lake County, Ill.,
diagnostic manufacturing operations are in full and complete conformance
as rapidly as possible."
I suggest that we give our Abbott Sales Representatives a few days to
sort out what is happening and find out what effect this agreement will
have on supplies.
Regards
Graham Ellis

Dr. Graham Ellis
Dept. of Clinical Biochemistry
St. John's Hospital
Livingston
West Lothian
Scotland
EH54 6PP
Phone: (from UK)    01506 422756  Ext: 3343
Fax (from UK)          01506 460301

(from Canada):       011 44 1506 422756 Ext: 3343
Fax (from Canada) 011 44 1506 460301