We are having problems performing correlation analysis on data
obtained from GC chromatograms.  As the extraction efficiency of the
samples is highly variable we are expressing individual peaks as a
percentage of the total peaks area.

The problem then is that the Limit of Detection (LOD), which we are
defining as the smallest peak that the integrator can handle divided by
the total peaks area, changes with the extraction efficiency for each
sample.

We are now trying to correlate the percentage of each compound (as
a fraction of the total) as detected by GC with other continuous
biochemical and anthropometric variables.  Deleting the data which
is below the LOD is going to skew the analysis and reduce power.  Ranking
all the 'below the LOD' data as equally low results is also incorrect as
the samples that extracted very poorly could have results higher than some
of the defined data.

Is there a formal treatment for these sort of data?  If not any ideas?

Thanks in advance.