I would agree that this is of little value in semi-solid or solid stools.
we had one memorable case of profuse waterly diarrhoea in a young child
that turned out to be a Munchausen by proxy (Meadow's syndrome) where a
mother was giving her child magnesium sulphate.  Analysis of spun supernatant
showed an "osmolar gap" with a marked discrepancy between measured and expected osmolality (based on measuremnet of faecal sodium. potassium and chloride).

This encouraged us to look further and the finding of a high
magnesium (and subsequently sulphate) concentration empowered the paediatricians
to confront the mother.
 so there may be rare situations where the lab has a part to play in the
analysis of diarrhoea but the clinicians have to make a good case!

(never say "never" in medicine?)
James Falconer Smith