Your explanation is quite correct.  Binding of a number of
things will increase anodic mobility - they include
bilirubin, salicylates, and the most common cause in our
experience is high dose penicillin and related antibiotics.

Pam Riches

On Thu, 9 Sep 1999 08:57:12 +0100 "R.W. Wulkan"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear collegue,
>
> Yesterday, I was called to inspect an unusual protein
> electrophoresis pattern. One lane of the Paragon gel showed
> an broad albumin band, "bearding" towards the anode, no
> extra (prealbumin) band to be seen. The patient turned out
> to have a chronic renal failure: kreat 480 umol/L, urea 63
> mmol/L, anion gap 24 mEq/L. Our present theory is that the
> broadening is caused by association of albumin with charged
> molecules, retained by severe renal failure. The patient
> did not get albumin therapy. Is there anyone familiar with
> this phenomenon?
>
> The only bearding band known to us thus far are the
> Dubliners, so we propose the name albumin Dubliners.
>
> Best wishes
>
> Raymond Wulkan
> Zuiderziekenhuis Rotterdam
> The Netherlands

pamela riches
St. Georges Hospital Medical School
Opinions expressed those of the author and not the institution