"Might I suggest that for common poisons the lab be the source of
advice to clinicians"

Dear Mike,

This not easy. Never mind the local lab. I am not sure how often the
other poison units are contacted.Wards/ A&Es tend ALWAYS to contact
Guy's unit first. The centre appears to fax back details of the
management of the 'poison in question, following which the local lab is
asked to follow the advice given. Hopefully when the National Poison
Unit web site is up and running we could also have an access to
information given or question anything that appears to be unrealistic.
Ahmed Waise FRCP FRCPath
Cosultant Chemical Pathologist
Friarage Hospital,
Northallerton, North Yorks