     Dear Mailbase members

     Thanks for the interest in my question and for all the contributions
     to the discussion.

     In conclusion I would summarise the points made as follows:

     1.  Under the circumstances the request for TFT's was appropriate.

     2.  Thyroid hormone replacement can be given whilst awaiting the
     results of TFT's without harming the patient.

     3.  Whether TFT's are measured immediately, the next day/working week
     depends on the department's equipment and the availability of trained
     staff.

     4.  Interpretation of the results is not straightforward in acutely
     ill patients.

     5.  A protocol for the authorisation of non standard out of hours
     requests should be in place.

     Regards
     John Tovey
     Nevill Hall Hospital