In message <001901bebe23$108902e0$83ecabc3@default>, John O'Connor
<[log in to unmask]> writes
>We often find slightly elevated urine adrenaline and noradrenaline in
>patients who are under investigation for pheochromocytoma but do not have
>this condition. Usually the drug history indicates that the patient is
>taking some medication that is known to cause mild elevations in the
>catecholamines.
>
>Our reference ranges are based on normotensive patients (should they be as
>the majority of patients under investigation are hypertensive?)
>Our ranges are as follows
>Noradrenaline  male <640 nmol/24h; female <470 nmol/24h
>Adrenaline male <100 nmol/24h; female <70 nmol/24h
>Our protocol is to collect *3, 24h collections on consecutive days. (is this
>the best approach)
Our reference range (for metanephrines) is based on hypertensive
patients as hypertension is usually the indication for testing, and the
condition is rarely considered in normotensive individuals (although
well described).  The other point is that some antihypertensive drugs
can elevated urine catecholamines and metabolites although this is
probably only a major problem when initiating or changing therapy.

No I don't have any canned comments as I find them very difficult and
the clinical details are usually minimal - the form is often filled in
by nursing staff as they are usually responsible for the collection,
giving the patient instructions etc.  It is one test that probably
generates the highest telephone call rate, as if you don't comment, the
clinicians usually phone back anyway !
Trevor

Dr. T.A. Gray
Department of Clinical Chemistry