Our experience is that most endocrinologists and other clinicians
(especially GPs) love thyroid antibody testing rather than the 'suggest
repeat in 2-3 months' attitude you must take to compensated hypothyroidism
if the test is not available.

We find the test extremely cost effective since it is our immunology
department who measure it and pay for it!

P.S. There is an excellent practical strategy for the management of
subclinical (should we still use this term?) hypothyroidism in the BMJ 1997;
314(7088): 1175-8

Dr. Eric S. Kilpatrick
Consultant in Chemical Pathology
Department of Clinical Biochemistry